Wednesday, October 7, 2009

road trip, day one: CT, NY, PA, OH

yes, I have arrived safe and sound, in my new home on the west coast. yes, it was a long, arduous, exciting, painful, exhilarating, gut-wrenching, liberating, action-packed adventure of a journey to get here. and yes, of course, I plan on at least attempting to tell you every juicy, little detail about it.
To start off, let me just say that the experience of leaving, actually getting in the car and driving away, was unlike any other. I mean, physically, it really, truly felt like my heart was being pulled in two different directions. I don't think it helped that our first day took us through new york and across pennsylvania, which was boring, cold, rainy and loooong.

When we finally stopped that day, it was in Ohio at a motel 6 that was so disgusting it completely redefined my understanding of the word skeevy. Aside from the bed, and the tv, the only furniture in the room was a small folding table with a chair in front of it that could not have possibly served any other purpose than as a surface for crushing and inhaling drugs. The sheets had cigarette burns in them. I woke up in the middle of the night, sat straight up in the rock-hard bed and cried. It was one of those nights I wasn't sure if I'd even make it through.

There was however, a ray of sunshine in the midst of all this doom and gloom. Somewhere in the middle of pennsylvania, we stopped at this adorable place called the twilight diner and ordered these:buffalo-style beer-battered jack and blue cheese sticks. yes, i'm fucking serious.

the whole place was like something out of a movie about where you'd wanna eat on a road trip.
and the food was so good that i'd almost consider doing it all again just to eat there.

love always

No comments: