Friday, November 7, 2008

it's 8 o'clock on friday and i'm already hungover

sometime around one this afternoon, i came to a very important and wholly unexpected conclusion: i love my job.
about six months ago i was promoted within my company to the position of wine sales rep. i had been dreaming about having this job for a seriously long time, so naturally i was thrilled when i first found out, but to be totally honest, the past six months have been kind of the hugest letdown of my entire life. supplying shitty package stores with boxes of franzia wasn't nearly as glamorous as i had expected.
this week was the absolute pinnacle of my job's shitiness. it was so stressful that i've actually been considering a career change, but that all changed when i met matias.
matias is this semi-adorable edward norton look-alike who supplies my company with pommery champagne. supposedly, the entire rest of the world thinks of pommery the way that we, in america, think of veuve cliquot or dom perignon; as the height of luxury and the emodiment of good taste. i had never tasted pommery before, but i was immediately drawn to the packaging on their new POP label.
we started with the brut royale, then moved on the rose, the new, modern POP line, and then, the highlight of my entire wine-drinking career, the cuvee louise. i've had champagne before, and i've been slightly impressed, but from the very first sip of this stuff, i was hooked.
something in the traditional champagne bouquet always throws me off. some people describe the nose as being "yeasty", which never seemed all that appealing to me. in this line however, i found the scent to be alluring, intoxicating even. as we moved into the higher end bottlings something clicked in my brain. this wine smells like seashells, like the ocean, like everything i loved about being fifteen years old.
when we tasted the cuvee louise, i literally had tears in my eyes (i was a bit drunk by this point, mind you). i was seriously moved by how good this wine tasted. i'm talking praline, hazlenut, rose petals, and of course that briny seashell bouquet. it reminded of why i wanted to sell wine in the first place.
who else in the entire world gets to start off their weekend drinking exquisite two-hundred-dollar-a-bottle champagne and getting paid for it?
trust me, i'm done complaining.

love always

4 comments:

inconsciente said...

I love reading your blog. Maybe I'm biased, but it always makes me laugh.

...despite the spelling and grammar errors.

kali flower said...

i've invented my own grammar. they're not mistakes, they're completely intentional...

so baroque said...

i agree with inconsciente. he is certainly biased, and your blog is quite funny...i especially enjoyed "true "romance"

let's contemplate this for a moment
Cocao
Butter

funniest moment ever

kali flower said...

who is sobaroque? you obviously signed up for an account just to comment on my blog and i am way too narcissistic to not know who's secretly admiring my work.