Sunday, July 26, 2009

let's talk about baz luhrmann please

i totally meant to write something about just how much i adore baz luhrmann right after i watched australia, but i never got around to it because i was too busy crying about how freaking adorable nullah is.

in any case, baz luhrmann is my favorite director ever, without a doubt. so when i read today that he's gonna be directing a movie version ofthe great gatsby, which is my favorite book ever, without a doubt, i pretty much did cartwheels all around my condo despite the sweltering heat and lack of a/c.
the tool who wrote the stupid article was concerned that the new version won't be "american" enough. if by american he means dull and polluted, then he's probably right. here's what's going to happen: baz luhrman is going to come in and make the whole thing into a huge fucking sparklefest. personally, i think this is a good thing.
i have never been let down by luhrmann's work. the images in his movies appeal to me on such a deep, subconscious level. they've been with me for so long and they mean so much to me, it's like you could use them to make a map of my heart.


love always

1 comment:

inconsciente said...

After experiencing the over the top gradiosity of Australia, even I, fitzgerald heretic that I am, ..even I can believe that the Great Luhrmann can create a silk purse from the sows ear that the not so great Gatsby is.